Now where did I read that...

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Time Travel

My worst habit is rushing things.
I have an incredibly hard time trying to be present in the moment and not get distracted by what I want something to become or trying to make it fit into what I wanted to end up with, or worrying about it being better than what I had.
With everything I'm juggling right now- promotion issues, Soldier issues, family issues, social life, cleaning, moving personal belongings from one place to another- I am realizing quickly that the biggest lesson I want to learn from Danger is being present in the moment- something I swear he never struggled with. While I'm seeing, the more I clear my life of people who are hurting me or simply wasting my time, I'm realizing that the qualities I need in someone I date are pretty clear: I need someone who can stand up to me, someone who will treat me right, and someone who is intelligent. It's harder to find than one might think. None the less, even if I find someone who's perfectly within these parameters, if I can't learn to slow down and be in the moment, well, I'm just going to rush into it all and end up feeling like it's too much for me to handle.
This quote from Erykah Badu's song Window Seat caught my attention earlier: Don't wanna time-travel no more, just wanna be here.  


It just fits, you know?
I'm falling back into my comfort zone with the soul music these last couple days- a lot of Joss Stone, Erykah Badu, Fugees, Alannah Myles... I forgot how peaceful that place is. Soul music is my haven, I crave it when my life starts to feel right again. I will always hope that it sticks, but, mostly, I'm just going to have to wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment