Now where did I read that...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Woman Is Her Body

I've written about this concept before, but I caught myself expressing, albeit inwardly, sentiments that I have mentioned that I dislike in society.
Venus Williams was heavily criticized for her choice of one particular outfit during the U.S. Open. She had to continually adjust her tennis dress, according to reports. As I looked through pictures, I thought to myself that I hated how masculine this very attractive, very athletic, very motivated and determined woman looked while playing.
 Then it struck me: her appearance is not, by a long shot, the important part.
This woman is among the best tennis players in the world, and I- and many others- are judging her choice of outfit? Seriously? How in the world is that my place?
On her worst days, she plays far better than most folks I know could ever dream of. Yet, we continue to expect women to appear feminine, classy, and well-dressed while doing some of the most physically, and I'd be willing to bet emotionally, demanding tasks and competitions.
What are we thinking?!

No comments:

Post a Comment