Now where did I read that...

Friday, July 29, 2011

Stable

Despite what many think, military folks don't make much- at least enlisted military folks.
It's always been a guaranteed paycheck on the first and the fifteenth, but it ain't much of one. I know waitresses who pulled more in tips in two weeks than I do in a steady paycheck.
I am, however, finally learning to do this whole 'financial responsibility' thing.
I got a little bit of extra cash this month (a once-yearly allowance of a couple hundred extra dollars for all the uniforms and gear that we wear out annually- and don't kid yourselves, it doesn't cover the amount I spend on uniforms and military stuff in a year) and, while I'm still waiting on the thousand-plus dollars the Army still owes me in back pay, I managed to pay off my credit card, and throw some extra toward my truck payment.
Have I told you how much I love my truck?
Have I told you how much I want a Harley?
I am working on fixing my truck up, a little at a time, but so far, she has taken more of my abuse than my love, with all the driving and moving I've done since I bought her.
My truck isn't new, she's a '99 Blazer, but I absolutely love her. She's sturdy, with four-wheel drive, and iPod playing capability. She has her quirks- like how I have to turn my high beams on and off 3 times before I know my left headlight will be on without high beams, and how she still needs her headlights adjusted so she's not all cock-eyed anymore. Despite the worn leather seats, the headlight issues, and, well, the fact that she's a used truck, I'd much rather put money into her now and know she'll stick around for a while than just beat her up and eventually trade her in for something newer.
Anyhow, money-wise, I paid off my credit card today. I know from experience that my bank will sit on the payment for 3-5 business days before it even reflects, but I know how much I have left after the payments I made today, despite the bank's lack of timeliness, and I will most likely save the back pay up for a motorcycle, or just pay off my truck in it's entirety and then start putting money away each month for the bike. I won't do payments on both a bike and my truck at the same time, because one of them is bound to wind up needing repairs, and I would be too confined financially to do all of those things. It sure wouldn't bother me to have a truck and a motorcycle paid off by the time I leave the Army in February of 2013.
Over all, things are going really well for me right now. I have a truck I'm not just keeping up with the payments on, but exceeding those payments every chance I get, I managed to upgrade my reliable old flip phone for a 4G-capable Android- and bought the new $435.00 phone for $170.00, mind you- and, well, my relationship is just as steady and wonderful as it was day one, over a month ago, and I really think, despite some stress, that I am happier than I have ever been.
I've made a lot of hard decisions lately, but I'm proud of each and every one. I'm really going to make it just fine, after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment