Now where did I read that...

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Broken Heart Beating

I'm reading "Where The Broken Heart Still Beats- The Story Of Cynthia Ann Parker" by Carolyn Meyer.

Cynthia Ann Parker is a "White" woman who was, at a young age, taken from her family by members of the Comanche tribe. She lives with them, marries a chief, and then, during a rather violent raid, re-captured by the White folks. She's returned to her family, along with the daughter she had with the chief, and, despite trying to escape, is forced to live as a White woman. The reason I put "White" in quotations at the beginning is because it's incredibly clear, even by the first pages of Chapter 5, that this woman in no way considers herself white.
Here is a woman, living completely outside her element, not by choice, without the man she loves.  She struggles to maintain what she knows and believes in but, of course, it is a struggle.
It's incredible how much I relate to this woman.
Why do I cringe every time someone calls me white? Why am I more offended by that than anything else? Why do I feel so empty when I do what I feel I "should" do? My faith helps so much, but there's just so much of me that screams that there's more for me than what I'm living right now. I struggle with the decision of whether to stay in or leave the Army in 2013 when my contract expires. I have wanted to be a career Soldier for some time, but I crave India, and a few weeks, I think, would only leave me wanting more. I don't know how to go about visiting there, though I'm not the least bit frightened to do so, even on my own. After spending two years in Korea, I'm quite confident in my abilities to manage in a non-English speaking country. From what I've read about India, there's actually quite a large part of the population who are at least relatively fluent in English. Perhaps I would enjoy trying to learn Sanskrit or Hindi? Hindi is India's major official language, with English being a secondary. I'm relatively sure that Sanskrit is mostly a religious language, more than a frequently spoken one.
I don't know, but I have found a fascination in this place for a long time. I think it might be time to try to figure out what to do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment