Now where did I read that...

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

New Life

What would you do if you had the chance to start your life over? I don't mean from day one, but, getting to change things like your occupation, your image, the way you dress, where you live... What would you do?
I'm kind of lucky, because I get to find out.
My contract with the Army will expire in 2013. I have planned to go to nursing school, but there are far more interesting options out there, as well, particularly for someone without attachments. I have planned on staying in the medical field because it's practical and would mean a steady, reliable, income and career.... And cue the theme song of that life:



I could go almost anywhere in the world to teach English. I would give almost anything to be able to travel to India for a year or so. I am absolutely in love with that country, despite it's poverty. Where else do you see the labor-class working happily, if sweatily, in brightly-colored dresses, with cows roaming about as they will, and musicians randomly playing in the streets and all those other eccentricities that go with being a newcomer to a foreign country... India is my dream. Then there's the Baha'i temple there:


I can't even imagine what it would be like to find myself standing in front of that building. I think I would cry.
Tonight, at the Feast of Izzat, a list of open jobs at the various Baha'i temples and such was passed around. I could see myself running off to work at any of the Baha'i temples around the globe, to be honest, even the one in Wilmette, despite it being somewhat less lofty than my aspirations to India.



Still beautiful, no? I would just love to be able to spend my time in any of these places. I briefly met a woman, the mother of three grown girls, if I was following right, who is a Catholic-turned Baha'i. She mentioned how hard it was to be a young adult in this day and age and become a Baha'i. It was astonishing to me that someone understood without it having to be mentioned! She seemed to catch on to my train of thought rather quickly, and I was beyond grateful for this. I think I may seek her out for more conversation, as I struggle to feel comfortable with some folks speaking about subjects that, while pertinent to my life, aren't always a shared issue with folks who were raised as Baha'i. It's a different animal coming into it and modifying behaviors that are perfectly acceptable, even expected, in today's society. Lady LaLa has become my friend, and, I hope, soon will be more like a sister, as we are close in age and understand each other extremely well. This woman, though, well, I wonder if I haven't had a prayer answered tonight...

1 comment:

  1. Charli,

    This really resonates with me. My father beat it into my head that I had to do something practical to earn a living. My dream of being an artist would never happen - so he said. When I joined the Navy I really wanted to be in the journalism field. Instead, I went with electronics because I'd be able to "get a job" when I got out. After the Navy when I went to college, I really wanted to be an English major. But the tape in my head said I wouldn't be able to earn a living with that degree. So I was in the business field for 8 years. Got close to my dream of earning $100K a year. But the closer I got the more miserable I was. What I really wanted was a job where I could help people. For five years on my way home, I would drive past a seminary. And I always thought it must be a place of peace and learning. I thought if I didn't have to work for a living I would love to study religion. Finally, in Dec 2000 I quit my stressful job and embarked on a journey that, while it has been hard at times, is extremely satisfying. It's not "work." It's a calling and my heart is at peace with where I am.

    I wish the same for you.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete