Now where did I read that...

Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm Not Sari


I have a fascination with all things India.
When I got married, back in 2005, I wore a red sari or saree, and I absolutely loved it. Honestly, it was far more comfortable than any other dress I've ever worn. It was also incredibly beautiful.
I'm not sure how me wearing one would go over down in El Paso, but I plan on finding out. I found a website full of incredibly beautiful, unique saris and I can't wait to get some. I'm also excited to take belly dancing classes when I get back.
I have no idea where this fascination came from, or when. I have loved the Indian culture for as long as I can remember. I remember being interested in Hinduism, too, though the angry god phenomenon was not something I knew how to adapt to. These were the days back when I had stumbled across the Baha'i faith for the first time, but was many, many years from finding anyone who believed. I remember feeling like a fraud trying to claim or follow something I couldn't pronounce- and the pronunciation was, in fact, the one thing about the Faith that I couldn't grasp. I was eleven or twelve at this point. Go figure.

I want, desperately, to visit India. I can't see taking leave from the U.S. and paying that amount of money, but I hope to get stationed in Europe at some point, and that would make it far less expensive. Even if I come back to Korea, I think I would do it. I am fascinated by this place, despite, and maybe partially because of, it's poverty. It is not what I know, and that makes it that much more fascinating.

In the U.S. we don't display our Faith. It seems to me, we may be the only country/culture who doesn't. A hijab is worn by women of the Muslim faith, while married Hindu women wear a bindi. The yarmukle is worn by Jewish men to show their respect for God (they also don't ever write the full name of God as I do here, of course) by separating themselves from Him by wearing a hat or cap between their head and the heavens. On the political side of things, the keffiyeh is a symbol of Palestinian nationalism.

While I suppose the lack of display of faith in the states has a way of equalizing folks, it seems to me to be a pity. I have a sweatshirt that reads I heart Baha'i guys and a t-shirt that has a bar code with the word Baha'i under it. I am extremely proud of my faith, and try to be as encouraging to others to ask about it as I know how. I have introduced probably a dozen or so folks to it since I've been studying, and just letting people know it exists makes me happy. I don't have any intentions of attempting to convert anyone. After all, nobody converted me. I discovered it, asked a lot of questions, and, when the time as right, I declared.

I'm already heavily tattooed, and have considered getting a Baha'i tattoo. I will probably get one once I return to the states, perhaps the ringstone symbol, but here in South Korea it is prohibited. I want, more than anything, to be able to show others my faith without having to speak a word. I am blessed to have found this, and to live in the age of entry by troops, and to have so many supportive folks around me. It's a pretty amazing feeling to believe in something so much you want to share it with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment