Now where did I read that...

Monday, July 12, 2010

Forever, With Love

I just re-read my post titled Forever Hasn't Gotten Hear Yet.
It's interesting to read what it says, and realize the one word that sums it up isn't even in the post.

Intimacy.

Ocean to the rescue.

Bahai Faith:
The people of Baha, who are the inmates of the Ark of God, are, one and all, well aware of one another's state and condition, and are united in the bonds of intimacy and fellowship.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 169)

Paraphrased, Baha'i folks know each other intimately. We become a spiritual family, without a doubt. Another reason it would, undoubtedly, be easier for me to feel that connection with a fellow Baha'i. This statement rings true on a level I don't know how to put into words.


Christianity has something to say about this, too:
In order to reach the Union of Light, the soul must pass through the Dark Night -- that is to say, through a series of purifications, during which it is walking, as it were, through a tunnel of impenetrable obscurity and from which it emerges to bask in the sunshine of grace and to enjoy the Divine intimacy.

(St. John of the Cross, Ascent of Mount Carmel)

You have to go to the darkness to find the light. I think this is true with people, as well as life. I have certainly had my trials with people, men especially, but each has taught me better how to deal with people- and which people to deal with, given the choice. I have dealt with the darkest of people (pay attention, people, race has no application to this one) and learned to recognize those with whom I feel comfortable, those with whom I can share the proper level of intimacy needed for a true love.

I say continually that being a Baha'i is not a prerequisite, but, all the while, imagining a marriage and family with someone who does not feel my passion for the Baha'i faith is nearly impossible. I have opened people's eyes to the Faith, some of whom were even men I'd been dating, but it took me a great while to come around to the point in my life to truly understand how important it was to me.

It's odd to me how peaceful and settled my heart feels today. I can feel that the world is moving as it should be. I feel like things will only get better. I am hopeful and grateful and a little sad, but not violently so.

I found out today, via The Army Times, that a friend of mine from Basic Training passed away due to combat-related injuries in Iraq. Rest In Peace, PFC Haynes. God Bless You. You will not be forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment