Now where did I read that...

Monday, July 12, 2010

What The World Owes You

"The world owes you nothing. It was here first!" -Mark Twain

This article, over at Nursing Jocularity, makes me wonder if going overboard with the "specialness" is contributing to the attitude that the world owes one something when the children grow up.

Particularly since I've been in the Army, I see more and more young adults behave as if the world owes them a break of some sort. I know I was a bit spoiled as a child, but there was never an attitude that I deserved something just because I wanted it. My father has told me every chance he gets that he loves me and is proud of me. Never, though, was I just handed something. If I was told no, that was the end of the discussion.

I suppose some of my attitude toward not being owed anything centers on life after childhood though- when you realize how easily something important or basic can be taken away from you, your idea of what you deserve changes. The world doesn't care what you think you deserve if you don't appreciate it and earn it.

This may sound contrary to my spiritual beliefs, but it's not. We hold ourselves to a high standard. If I assume that all the good things are going to come to me because I deserve them, I'm not helping anyone out- not even myself. Don't take anything for granted. God will do his part, but not until you've learned to do your part.

Being your child's parent does not mean being your child's friend. I remember hearing this line as a kid, and it applies to faith as well as dealing with children: God's first priority is to teach you. If you refuse to listen, his first priority is not fulfilled, so he will continue trying to teach you as long as it takes. Being the friend is something learned, something you have to prove you can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment