Now where did I read that...

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Love's Grace, Gypsy Soul, Baha'i Heart

I have been asked a question: "How can we know when our actions meet with the approval of God?" Sometimes passion incites us to action; the laws of nature attract us, we obey our senses; the other incentive is the comprehension of the direction of God. We must find out if our actions are divinely inspired and if they do not conform, then it is our sensations which speak. Let us ever weigh our deeds in the scales of the divine teaching.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 102)

I am reading and re-reading this quote.
While it hits home, it also frustrates me in the manner that, well, it hits home in a way I'm not sure I'm comfortable with. I see how this applies to life in general, and to others' situations, but to my own- well, I believe it's application to my current situation is already at risk of causing some waves.

I'm sure my defiant Gypsy blood doesn't help my want to find happiness however it comes, short of it harming another, of course. I try so hard to play by the rules, but when everything in me says that what's best for me is what is so explicitly outside the lines, well, I get stubborn.

Jitterbug is steady, solid in his affection and friendship. He has been someone I have been able to lean on and talk to. He is someone I once thought lacked passion, but now I see that he is much more like me than I'd imagined, but simply has the experience and knowledge to keep it under control in a way I'm not sure I'll ever be driven to. He is not Baha'i. He is, in fact, little of what I imagined myself falling for. Not to say I've fallen, just... that I may. Of all the qualities about people I admire, it is much different when those qualities are tempered in such a way that they balance my own. It's a frightening thing, the thought of settling down. Perhaps this will all pass, and my worries and considerations will have been without need, but, well, maybe not...

No comments:

Post a Comment