Now where did I read that...

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sunshine On A Cloudy Day

Tumbleweed (my Dad) finally got a much-needed ray of hope today. We took him to the hospital this morning, and, after a year of a lot of pain and trouble and no diagnosis, they could see some of what was bothering him in the test results.
After a year of misery, I have no doubt that when he says he was starting to think he must be crazy, he surely means it. I am surprised at the difference I see in his mood already. I knew a diagnosis would help ease his fears, but I had no idea one test result confirming a problem that may or may not be fix-able would alter his mood so drastically. He's been so productive today, despite his undoubtedly energy-draining morning at the hospital. It gives me a lot of hope.

Bright Eyes and I talked for hours last night, and a few more hours this afternoon. We plan on talking more tonight.

I have been told that once you say you believe something, the universe, by it's nature, will test that. After deciding last night that I didn't want to see anyone else as long as things are going well with Bright Eyes (we aren't in a relationship, and neither of us are feeling particularly rushed about this), I should have known this would be tested. Today, at the hospital, I spent an hour in the tech room while Tumbleweed underwent his testing. The tech, Metal Mind, was incredibly charismatic. He is probably in his late 30's or early 40's, but we hit it off. Wonderful guy, with an adorable six year old daughter. Very funny, sweet, and outgoing. I am a very straight-forward, outgoing person. I have never really thought twice about asking someone for their number. It's not something that bothers me to do. I realized that he'd been in the area for some time, and could probably show me quite a bit to keep me entertained through the rest of my leave time. Fact of the matter is, it didn't matter to me. While he was an attractive man, it didn't take consideration for me to know that I was far more attracted to Bright Eyes all around than I was to this man. It might have been fun, but Metal Mind smokes, drinks, and, well, just is busy having fun.

I have to say, the smell of smoke is a huge turn-off for me. I grew up around it, and I've only gotten more sensitive to it throughout the years. That aside, I made the choice to do what I knew was right, rather than fun or easy today. I enjoy talking to Bright Eyes for hours, I really like what I see when I consider what a future with him might entail. He is, above all, a gentleman. He is so much what I want in my life. There's no guarantees that things with him will work out. Regardless, though, I have every intention of continuing to make the choices that will keep him in my life, and keep our friendship alive and strong. I suppose that's how it's supposed to start, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment