Now where did I read that...

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Society

"I just don't know how to live in this society."
This quote is from a fellow blogger, The Beautiful Kind, who recently lost her job due to her sex life- more specifically, blogging about it. While I abhor the thought of judging people by their sex life- and I do think it's completely pathetic and unnecessary when people choose to do this- this is a far aside from my point. As such, I will allow my readers (all three of you) to look further into this matter on your own, as you wish.
Are there any of us who haven't felt this way? Maybe I'm one of few who has, I'm not sure. I really hate drinking and psychotropic medications. I strongly disagree with both. I am fortunate to not be dependent on either, though I have been in the past. I have been sober over a year now, and I've lost count on the medication. My life is a thousand times better since I've quit drinking, and I'm much happier. I truly believe people can go without the medications with some serious lifestyle changes. There are those, however, who would have to make major, severe and very difficult lifestyle changes to go medication-free, and I do know that there are those who literally, this would be impossible for, especially those with physical limitations and/or more serious or severe emotional struggles. So far as alcohol goes, well, I see the people who depend on it, and it makes me sad. I see my Muslim friends who drink, despite the fact that it goes against their entire belief system and all they believe in, and it genuinely hurts me. It reminds me how easily we slip into vices and making excuses for our behavior, as we all do, at least to some degree. I was one of the worst offenders of this for a long time.
I don't know how to live in a society where people are not supported when trying to follow their beliefs. I don't know how to live in a society where we make it easier for people to do the wrong thing than the right, when doing the right thing is already a challenge in itself. Premarital sex is against many faiths, yet we choose to accept it as common behavior rather than a habit to overcome. I don't agree with it, and lost myself on this one after my traumas, and am still working at coming back around to my beliefs and being able to fully hold myself accountable for this. I have, though, come a long, long way from being the 14 year old girl who believed that there was no point in saying no, because nobody would listen. I am proud of how far I have come. It makes me sad, though, to see people not hold themselves accountable for their own actions, especially where their faith is concerned. How do we expect to improve the world if we're too scared to look at ourselves honestly? Was there any person who did something great in this world who didn't look in the mirror and admit their own faults, who didn't see their own flaws? I think this must be impossible.
I don't know how to live in a dishonest society, in a society made of false fronts and shallow images. I don't know how to lie to myself about my faults, nor how to lie to others about theirs. I don't know how to live in a society where people are willing to demand full, brute and total disclosure of another's personal information, but unwilling and unable to look themselves in the mirror and be honest with what they see.
I just don't know how to live in a society like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment